Search This Blog

Thursday 23 April 2015

Social media bringing the past to life


An inspiring story from the USA
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/102-year-old-has-amazing-reaction-to-footage-of-her-young-self/

and a longer story
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/04/22/watch-102-year-old-harlem-renaissance-dancer-sees-herself-on-film-for-the-first-time/

"Barker danced at clubs such as the Apollo, the Cotton Club and the Zanzibar Club, and her dancing appeared in movies, commercials and television shows and with stars like Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly and Bill “Bojangles” Robinson, according to Shuff."

5 comments:

  1. My sister sent me this video also, it's so lovely!! Nowadays we are so used to seeing photos and videos we forget how amazing it must be to be able to see that. It's wonderful that she had that chance to see herself and I love what she says about loving what she did and how pleased she was to be getting paid to dance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea that she has never seen herself on film must be a strange concept to todays youth who are constantly surrounded by the digital means. It's hard to imagine not having my phone with me to video or take pictures. My Grandpa is 100 this year and the world has come on so much in many ways during his lifetime. He finds it "mind boggling" that you can take pictures with your phone and send text messages without any wires being attached it the device.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the video of the lady. I thought it was really cute. I like watching myself dance, it's a memory so she must have been so happy. Thank god for technology

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the video of the lady. I thought it was really cute. I like watching myself dance, it's a memory so she must have been so happy. Thank god for technology

    ReplyDelete
  5. The footage evokes so many memories - yes generations and technology - my parents grew up with the radio - me TV and now web 2.0 - next body technology - the scope is endless - but the human story in this case is still heartwarming - such a lovely lady and a star!

    ReplyDelete