Search This Blog

Wednesday 10 February 2010

What is the module about?

This is a comment I put up on Rosina's blog... good use of blog for learning on Rosina's part.

We know the Handbook is a bit of a manual -that is - a lot of information and rather dense in places. It is a basic MDX iWBL Handbook that we are looking into simplifying for the future... However, basically this module is about thinking and planning in the styles of writing you did for 3002. It is about deciding what topic your want to choose for a project and learning some research methods along the way. It is about learning how to deal with people ethically in the workplace and choosing the title for your degree. It is about searching literature (taking the stuff you did in 3002 further) and locating good sources of data - that is people places and things that can tell you something about the topic you have chosen. Instead of being given a topic - you choose from your own interests and workplace - so you 'study' an aspect of your work that makes sense to you and your career (professional practice).

I came from fine art - a visually based subject area - but this stuff is actually quite useful in the real world along with your other knowledge from previous learning and your work. Also the learning log this time can be audio-visual for those who prefer it, this is a way of learning how to go about the project work. I hope that explanation is helpful... I would be happy to continue the discussion... actually I will put this comment on my Blog for others who might be on their own wondering.

Plus - keep visiting mine and others blogs - Rosemary has been putting stuff up - her Blog site can be accessed from mine... Also the first Campus-session 16th Feb and more stuff coming about the module. Have you bought the Bell book yet to read? Cheers Paula

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Paula. That does make more sense. I'm stressing that as I'm in Australia and won't be at any sessions I will miss out. But I'm sure everyones posts about the sessions will be helpful. I am unable to open the guidence attachment, Avni has re-sent it to me but I still can't open it....

    I found the manual confusing when it refers to oasis and doesn't mention much about blogging. I know that one sheet refers to blogging after most campus sessions but in the handbook blogging is not in there unless I've missed it.

    I really liked the guide of what should be finished and when in the 1st modual. Does this modual have that? or is that the info I cant open?

    I ordered the Bell book over a week ago so should be here to enlighten me soon.

    Thanks

    A little lost, Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle
    Good to hear you are working... the Guidelines that Avni sent you are the criteria we will use at the end of the Module and they are a variation on the Module Handbook - i.e. we are using Blogs and our OasisPlus will only have a repository - like a copy of the Handbook should yours be lost or deleted. Why do you think you can't open the document? contact your Academic Advisor if you are still having problems cc me if you want and I can try tool.

    I am doing a powerpoint that will be put up on the web with as much stuff as possible about the stuff we are covering at this Campus-session - then you can also contact your Academic Advisor for clarification and talking about your particular circumstance... I just talked to Alys who is in Dubai for 4 months... so a phone or Skype or email conversation might be helpful to make sure you are grounded - but we are also trying to put out info for everyone on the Blogs this week.

    We are getting stuff together now for Tuesday so that should go up soon after- in the meantime keep looking at the Blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Paula!!! I have no idea why I cant open it. Though I did read that Michelle could'nt open it either. If I'm ever confused I'm not the type of person to sit stressed out not asking questions. I'll keep going till I understand :)

    Looking forward to all the blogging..

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Paula for the information, it has made the module a bit clearer. I was also wondering if anyone else has had a problem finding the discussion board on OAS!S plus as outlined in the handbook. Any help with how to find it would be greatly appreciated as I have some keywords that I wish to add.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paula, thank you for the explanation, which, alongside the campus session yesterday, has really helped me understand what this module is about. I feel much more confident about what is expected and look forward to the next session!
    I have added Rosemary-I think so look foward to blogs from yourself, Peter, Rosemary and Alan.
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete