Search This Blog

Saturday 23 April 2011

3835 Online Portfolio

From the several online portfolio summaries I have seen - this device (equal to a one page blog entry) successfully summarises the work done on the tasks and the blogs in general. The samples I have seen really work to bring the term's work together in one summary. I would suggest perhaps to try to do more than just signpost to the blogs, although that is important., to add some critical commentary within this summary.

The idea of being 'critical' is also to talk about what things mean. You might even add an argument. "The word argument in higher education means a proposition or propositions (or conclusion/s) combined with a reason or reasons. A proposition is a statement, a way of thinking, or an idea that you believe to be true. It is also a way of persuading a reader of your views" (Institute of Education, 2008).

From the examples I have seen, adding a few more critical statements would help to show the reader why you think the way you do.

Why was the code of practice important? Why did it help you with your research ethical procedures?

How did the Facebook or Blog peer SIG interaction convince you about your topic?

What part of the planning have you found most difficult? Why?

I am always surprised at how little my first drafts of things do this! I always need to have several drafts and then leave some time for thinking about things. I don't always do this thinking consciously but let the ideas come to fruition as I do other things... then sometimes the solutions or rationalisations just pop up in you mind. I am trying to do the same with my writing which has an overabundance of repetition and muddled ideas - it is the process of writing for meaning.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Paula,

    It is interesting you point out the importance of leaving time to think for things. I have purposely not worked on my assignment for the last three days. Whilst this seemed like a daunting suspect at first, during this time I feel that my ideas have been allowed space to develop and suddenly many qualms are much more easy to tackle!
    It is certainly important to allow thoughts time to process and develop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amanda. Yes I have been writing over th holiday and redrafting requires that cadence of concentration and intervals. It would also be nice to have a perfect piece of writing but inevitably it is better to complete the ideas and accept that there might be a few flaws while the main body of work is as we would want it. When I read a draft and the main ideas have been communicated then I know I am near completion. It takes a number of drafts for me to get there though. There is a feeling of accomplishment when the drafting is done - so perseverance is a key writing skill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Paula. I thought I'd nearly finished my digital portfolio but I think I will have to go and have another look now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paula

    Ths has been a great help giving me a sense of direction. I also felt I was just listing my summary's now I can bring more explanation to link them together.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete